Saturday, June 11, 2011

Taylor

I shook my head and watched as the jabbering crazy man handed me a satchel. I carefully accepted the gift and looked inside. It was a book, the crazy man looked really excited and started chanting.

"Three forty seven!" Over and over again.

I opened to that page and would have fallen over if I hadn't already been on the ground. Then another fact hit me.

"Marcus? Is that you?" I asked. "You took your medicine and didn't go to sleep again didn't you?"

I got to my feet, "I've got to get this back to Jared." I put the book back in the satchel and strapped it to my belt. "Sorry friend but I've got to remain dead for now."

I turned on my chameleon belt and disappeared from his sight. He began to panic and I couldn't let him run around all day like that so I knocked him cold.

"Sorry again but you need to sleep," I whispered as I carefully set him down. "Even if it is restlessly."

I began to run and after a few minutes made it back into the base and, as I normally did, entered without anyone noticing. I made my way to my room and found Katrina still sleeping inside. How long was I gone? I grabbed the case and continued on.

I passed many people and nearly ran into someone else who was running through the complex. I quickly found the lab. I put my thumb on the scanner and the door slid open a moment later.

Jared looked up and raised an eyebrow. He was an older man, in his eighties. He couldn't see me but I was the only one he knew who had a working chameleon belt, it was experimental even to the betrayers.

The room was full of gadgets and computers, most people had little idea what these were, yet we relied on them for everything we did here, including the reason they couldn't find us. There was a large work table in the center of the room and Jared stood on the opposite side from me.

"It's been all over the news casts that you have been killed," Jared said. "I guess the rumor isn't true."

"Unless..." He jumped back and held a gun in my general direction. "They took it from you."

I turned the device off as the door closed, "Relax doc. I have a present for you." I tossed him the satchel. "It has the information of the last piece we need."

"You got it then?" He smirked.

I put the case on the table and opened it, "It's more beautiful than I thought it would be."

He removed an object from the case and put it on the table, "What is this?" He pointed at the small device that still remained inside.

"This is in case of an emergency," I answered. "A contingency plan."

I walked over to one of the walls and pressed the hidden button. The wall slid open to reveal a library of great volume.

"I really don't know what I'd do without Marcus finding all these rare books for me," I stepped inside. "I need to get to my studies. If anyone asks, you never saw me."

"Not that I get out of this lab much, too many assassins out there for people like me," He laughed.

"People like us," I smirked. "I know a great deal thanks to you but I'm not that into physics. Genetics, now that fascinates me."

"Well the assassins can't kill you but I'm getting old Taylor," Jared said. "A few more years is all I have left now. I'm lucky you came for me four years ago you know."

"You had been my teacher for years and you've repaid that debt many times over old friend," I walked back over and slapped him gently on the back.

I walked back into my library and closed the door behind me. I walked to the other secret door and looked out the spy hole. She was still sleeping on my bed. Bother.

It was fine I had another bed in here, and it wasn't that she was on my bed at all, it was that she was asleep. I'll just study until she wakes up or I'm otherwise disturbed.

(I know no openings for anyone but improvise haha :P)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.