It was dusk, the sun was sinking quickly. The smell of rotting flesh was strong in the market today. where are those two? I thought to myself impatiently. they were supposed to meet me here over and hour ago.
"Michael! Rosa!" I called out, desperately as I realized I may never see my babies again. Ok, so they weren't exactly babies, but once a mother always a mother. I grabbed an hunched old woman who crossed my path. "have you seen a boy about 15 with a little girl about 8? they both have brown hair like me, and fierce blue eyes like their father."
"sorry, hon, I haven't seen them. but you ought to be getting yourself back to the bunker if you don't want to get caught by the guards."
"yes, thank you."
I tried to fight back the tears, I knew she was right. but what could I do? the guards would be out looking for rebels any minute now. they could tell us from the others, the "civilians." it was like we were somehow marked. I decided to risk it, and continue looking for them. after all, what kind of mother would I be if I didn't go looking for them? for all I knew, and feared, the guards had already captured them. they were never very good at following directions. go in, get some berries and get out. how hard could that be? I thought, irritably to myself as I pushed aside some branches to follow an unmarked path. maybe they went back to base? I was hopeful for a minute. That is, until I heard a twig crack behind me. I froze, too afraid to look behind. maybe it's them, maybe they've come after all. I slowly, doubtfully turned around. oh crap, it's not them.
a dark figure of a man stood before me. I couldn't tell if he was friendly or not, he was holding what could have been a weapon or a walkie talkie.
"uh, I was, uh, could you excuse me for a minute?" I turned away and bolted. for someone my age, I was pretty agile, but I knew I couldn't keep him at bay for too long.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.