I woke up and felt a warm body next to mine I had my boxers on and the trench coat, which I had tossed to the side before going into the water, on top of me. I guess I should say on top of us, not me. She was lying against me, her soft skin pushing into mine. The rain had stopped and the water was gone, it was dry but still cold in here and she only had her underwear on.
I wrapped my arms around her and felt her twitch at my touch, she was awake. I saw my clothes trying to dry out a few feet away, my belongings were scattered near them. Her clothes had been searched for anything useful then discarded. As I slid a hand down her side I found the site of one of the bullets. She had managed to use her clothes to make a bandage of sorts. As both bullet wounds, the only good thing about hard light bullets was the bullet itself disappeared after the energy was dispersed. No need to dig around in the muscles and bones to find them.
"You okay?" I asked her. She turned to face me and I saw she was tired.
"I couldn't let myself sleep until you woke up. They will be looking for us," She complained.
"No," I smiled. "They'll be looking for me. But I have a chameleon belt, that should help hide me."
"So what do we do now?" She asked as I caressed her beautiful body.
I stopped as I realized what was happening and stood up, "I need to get back to base. You're coming with me."
"The rebels will kill me on sight. I'm on some of the bounty posters for killing your people," She exclaimed as she pulled the trench coat around her body. "As I recall it said 'dead, if brought in alive we'll kill both of you'."
"That is irrelevant," I comforted her as I was pulling on my clothes and then strapping my gear on. "My word is law among my people. I created that bounty poster and I can revoke it. You have more than proved yourself to me."
She walked over to me, she had a limp. I moved over and put one arm around her and carried the case with another. She looked surprised but relieved.
"You are so much different than they told me you were," She sighed.
"And what did they say about me?" We were walking back the way we had come, progress was slow.
"They said you were an evil man who would kill at a glance," Katrina answered. "Who would never hesitate, yet you not only hesitated you now think I can be redeemed."
"So you made a mistake," I shrugged. "I forgive you. You saved my life and I feel something else, but I can't feel it because..." I trailed off.
"Because of why?" She asked for me to continue.
"If I feel it then I betray everything I have come to be," I said. "Yet I don't want to fight it, but how can I betray everything and everyone that I know and love."
I looked deep into her eyes, "It's like we know each other from a distant past and just haven't met lately. I feel I know you."
"That's not possible," She answered. "But let's keep moving."
A few hours later we made it back to the encampment, more of the tunnels were intact than I thought would be and we hadn't had to leave the sewers.
"Hold it right there," A stern voice said from up ahead. "Let's see your identification."
I let go of her and approached the man, "What are you talking about? You don't need to see my identification." He looked confused and I continued, "Are you new? I'm the leader of the rebellion you moron and she's hurt. Let us pass."
"I'm sorry but without the proper identification I can't let you through," He quivered where he stood.
"Taylor," I heard from behind him. "Is that really you Taylor? Man you look like hell."
"I walked through it I guess I should," I smirked. "You gonna let me pass now or do I have to break your legs?"
The guard gulped and moved to the side. The other man raised an eyebrow as he saw the woman behind me.
"Taylor, you know who she is, don't you?" He asked.
"Yeah, I do," I answered. "She's the woman who helped me escape."
The man grunted, "I see. Some of the men won't like this. She killed the family of some of those here."
"I know that," I spat back. "But my rule is still law. If I revoke the kill order then it is revoked. She is one of us now, she took two bullets from their weapons."
"They shot one of their own?" The man frowned. We were walking down some of the corridors to where I stayed. "Those animals."
"For now she should be fine in my quarters," I said as I pulled the curtain aside. We had done a lot of digging, making room as our ranks were growing faster than we sometimes knew what to do about it. My room was one of the first we had dug out, the men had thought I deserved a place to rest my head where I didn't have to smell everyone else. I hadn't argued the point.
I was surprised when I saw Andra sitting on my bed, evidently waiting for me. Katrina was a few steps behind me and I motioned for her to wait.
"I thought we'd been through this Andra," I walked inside and closed the curtain. "You and I can't..." The look in her eyes was different then I thought it had been. I asked, "Where is your daughter?"
riskay much?
ReplyDeleteI concur. lol
ReplyDelete