He knew I wasn't going to respect his wishes, and he knew I knew he knew. As soon as he left, and put someone else in charge (which was never a good idea because no one was as competent as he was) I devised a plan.
It was very likely that Marcus wouldn't agree to take Michael with him, but Michael's curiosity would tell him to follow him anyway. I decided I would follow a few paces behind to make sure Michael didn't get himself into any more trouble.
Seeing as I was now demoted (being unable to prove myself worthy to be in the ranks with Taylor) I didn't see any reason to remain with the pack. My only objectives now: save my family, and stay alive.
Despite my arrogance, I felt a little weary of going out on my own again. I trained under Taylor for so long, I was sure I was ready, but I also felt as though I was betraying a dear friend.
I pushed back my emotions and stuffed them deep into the pit of my stomach as I had done so many times before. I had to be strong, emotionless, I couldn't balk now. Everyone expected me to be cold and fierce, even though deep inside I knew I was a frightened little girl who just wanted someone to tell me everything was alright.
As soon as the fortress was opened for the day, Marcus left (not wanting to remain in this dump we call home). Michael secretly followed him with very few supplies (foolish boy, I thought I'd taught him better. luckily I anticipated that I brought extra supplies). As soon as the man in charge took his eyes off me, I slipped out the door behind them. Stealth was one of my best strategies, but was proving difficult with my current distraction.
We passed through the now deserted town. It was silent, and gave me the chills. I felt as though the ghosts of all those innocent people still remained. It wasn't long before Marcus had managed to lose Michael. In one part of the town he spotted something that made him stop.
It was as if time froze in Michael's world. He stooped down to pick something up and completely lost all touch with reality. It wasn't until I reached him that I realized what was going on.
"It's hers." he said silently, not even surprised to see me. I need to work on my stealth, apparently.
I carefully took the small doll from his hands, remembering all the love I had put into it when I had learned that I was going to have a baby girl. We both fought back the tears as we thought of the horror our sweet Rosa was likely experiencing. I embraced Michael hard, and looked him in the eyes, and said sternly, "now they've crossed the line. This means war!"
He nodded through his tears, and I felt the anger boiling up in my heart. He wiped his tears and got a fierce look in his eyes, "let's go get them." He growled.
"They want Taylor, we'll bring him to them. But they'll wish they'd never asked."
(you can delete this next part if you feel the need)
Baldric had been missing for over nearly two years now and I was starting to lose hope. But in my heart I knew I had to keep fighting, hoping he was alive. In his absence, I had gone to Taylor for comfort (him being my oldest and dearest friend). As time went on, I began to hate him. I hated him because he made me feel like he wanted me to give up on Baldric. I hated him because secretly I loved him.
There had been one incidence where I had allowed myself to feel something, and almost convinced myself that we were more than just friends. But I fought those feelings, even thought it hurt to do so. If Baldric was still alive, I needed to stay faithful to him.
There were times when I wished circumstances had been different, but I couldn't change reality. I couldn't go back in time. I wished I could, some days, when I really felt lonely and needed comfort. I wished I could go back to when we were young and tell him how I felt. But then I realize by changing my past I would change my present. I might not have the wonderful children I have or any confidence.
It was a hard decision to make, but I had to make Taylor dislike me. I felt it was the only way to rid myself of the feelings we shared. I didn't want to hurt him, but somehow thought that by making him hate me it would soften the blow.
(of course, she'll go back to base and realized he's gone MIA and probably go looking for him, or wait until he comes back. you decide. Taylor and Andra have a love/hate relationship.)
of course and no it's not over the top, good post
ReplyDelete